The Greater Muskogee Area Chamber of Commerce & Tourism seeks to fill the position of Tourism Director and is accepting applications for this position via resumé and cover letter submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See the full job description and requirements below.
Job Title: Director of Tourism
Reports To: GMACC President / CEO
Job Status: Exempt / Salaried
The Director of Tourism is responsible for the overall management and execution of the Greater Muskogee Area Chamber of Commerce’s (GMACC) contract for Tourism services with the City of Muskogee. This position is the representative of the GMACC for all Tourism activities with local businesses, the community at large and throughout the state of Oklahoma and ensures the GMACC and REAL OKIE brand are promoted with all tourism activities. The Director of Tourism serves as the lead for GMACC in the development and implementation of all initiatives, activities and programs designed to increase tourism for Muskogee.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Management and Administration – 40%
- Guides the annual development of, and is responsible for, the implementation and execution of the Tourism Program of Work;
- Serves the GMACC liaison to the City of Muskogee for the purpose of executing the contract between the two;
- Ensures all reporting requirements are met and provided to the City of Muskogee per the Tourism contract;
- Tracks visitor data and other pertinent statistics and information related to tourism and ensures updated and proper software and collection systems are in place;
- Provides oversight of the Tourist Information Center by working with the Communications Coordinator to ensure effectiveness and efficiency;
- Serves as the liaison for GMACC and Tourism for Chamber or non-chamber sponsored events such as festivals, conventions, fishing tournaments, races and other activities that are expected to bring large numbers of tourists to Muskogee;
- Serves as the staff liaison for the Tourism Committee and all other subcommittees designated by the Tourism program;
- Works with GMACC President/CEO, the GMACC Vice President and the GMACC Marketing Director in preparing an annual budget for all Tourism activities;
- Manages all aspects of the Community Support application processProvides marketing and public relations consultation and assistance to organizations and tourist attractions as identified through the Tourism’s community support grant process;
Convention Recruitment and Hosting- 25%
- Conducts research in order to actively pursue conventions to come to Muskogee;
- Conducts solicitation of conventions and other tourism business for Muskogee;
Community and Public Relations – 30%
- Serves as staff liaison and Chamber representative to the Hoteliers Association and Motorcycle Tourism Committee, as well as any other ad-hoc committees to further tourism;
- Maintains positive relations with local hoteliers, attraction and event staff, as well as other key stakeholders in Muskogee’s tourism industry;
- Serves as a member of the GMACC Marketing Team to provide input and direction to the overall marketing, advertising and public relation efforts;
- Works collaboratively with government officials, community leaders, volunteers and other organizations to develop new tourist attractions, festivals and events to promote Muskogee’s assets and Green Country area attractions;
- Represents GMACC and Tourism at selected trade and sports shows to exhibit promotional materials designed to attract tourists and conventioneers to the Muskogee area;
- Fosters relationships with tourism professionals at state and national level by attending association meetings, networking events and educational sessions;
Other – 5%
- Provides support to GMACC committees and activities as requested by the President/CEO;
- Attends GMACC Board of Directors meetings;
- Attends Chamber meetings, functions and events as directed;
- Other duties as assigned by the President/CEO.
- A strong work ethic and the ability to initiate contacts without supervision.
- Experience in working to meet specific goals and deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to work with people in person, either one-on-one or in groups, on the phone and via email.
- Ability and willingness to work in a collaborative and team environment.
- Must have a general working knowledge of chambers of commerce; knowledge of tourism is helpful.
- The ability to work outside of general office hours on an as needed basis.
- Must be organized and have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, including building community relationships, attending meetings and administrative office work.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn and manage membership software.
- A valid driver’s license and liability insurance is required.
- A high school diploma or equivalent. College degree preferred but not required.